This GPS Breakout is built around the NEO-M8N GNSS module from ublox. The NEO-M8 modules utilize concurrent reception of up to three GNSS systems (GPS/Galileo together with BeiDou or GLONASS), recognize multiple constellations simultaneously and provide outstanding positioning accuracy in scenarios where urban canyon or weak signals are involved. The NEO-M8N module can be used in data logging applications. The data logging feature enables continuous storage of position, velocity and time information to an onboard SQI flash memory. The information can be downloaded from the receiver later for further analysis or for conversion to a mapping tool. The power usage of NEO-M8N is incredibly low, only 21mA in continuous mode.
This ublox NEO-M8N GPS Breakout comes with a low dropout 3.3V regulator so you can power it with 3.3-5VDC, a 256KB Serial EEPROM, and a re-chargable backup battery to keep the RTC running and allow warm starts. A tiny bright red LED will turns on when power is applied and blinks at 1Hz when a fix is found. It also comes with a microB USB connector for direct connecting to PC. The breakout board has a ceramic patch antenna that supports GPS and GLONASS, but if you want to have a bigger antenna or to support other GNSS systems, you can solder the SMA connector and attach the 3V active GPS/GNSS antenna.
Comes with one fully assembled and tested module and a piece of SMA connector.
NOTE: This GPS breakout will work with supply voltage of 3.0VDC to 5.5VDC, however, the logic level of RX pin is 3.3V and is not 5V tolerant. It can be damaged if connect directly to a 5V device (e.g Arduino Uno and Mega). A Logic Level Converter is recommended to protect the NEO-M8N module.
- Ublox Neo-M8N module
- Concurrent reception of up to 3 GNSS (GPS, Galileo, GLONASS, BeiDou)
- Navigation update rate up to 10 Hz
- Cold starts: 26s
- Rechargeable 3V lithium backup battery
- Vin range: 3.0-5.5VDC
- Security and integrity protection
- Supports all satellite augmentation systems
- Advanced jamming and spoofing detection
- Operating current: 21mA Continuous Mode, 5.3mA Power Save Mode at 1Hz
- USB 2.0 Interface
- NEO-M8 Datasheet
- Receiver description and protocol specifications
- U-Center software
- U-Center user guide
- Schematic diagram
- UBlox Windows Standard Driver, VCP Device Driver
- TinyGPS+ (Arduino library)
- Weight (not including SMA connector): 14g
- Size: 39.5(L) x 25.6(W) x 8.5(H)mm